For a realistic pencil drawing, selecting the right kind of paper to draw on is very critical. Drawing paper is like a “BODY” to habitat the “SOUL OF DRAWING“.
Paper is the most influential decisions that an artists make. The kind of paper you would choose to draw on will have more effect on the final outcome of your drawing. Sometimes people use wrong paper and can’t figure out why drawing techniques are not working correctly for them. There are many important factors to look while choosing right paper, color, absorbancy, texture, weight and archival properties are some of them. So choose your drawing paper wisely !!
Now let’s have a look at a couple of drawing paper for Realistic Pencil Drawing. These drawing papers are equally good for both charcoal drawing and color drawing and one of the best drawing paper for drawing and sketching.
1. Strathmore 400 Series Drawing Paper:
- This drawing papers are known for their quality, consistency and performance.
- There is vast range of styles, so there is paper for all levels of artists.
- Strathmore 400 Series Drawing paper is a good paper to practice drawings. So if you are beginner in portrait drawing, this paper is just excellent to get hold of drawing paper quality.
- The two sides of paper have different roughness. The roughness of paper gives variety in texture and shades and limits you to blend your drawing. A cold press paper is too rough for smooth drawing. This paper does not have cold press. So practice on both sides of paper and see for yourself which side you like the best for drawing.
- Acid free
- These papers are not archival, which means there is wood-pulp in the paper. This could eventually lead to turning the paper yellow and make the paper little brittle.
- This is not a rag paper.
- Not recommended for drawing a master piece.
Click here if you are a beginner artist and interested in buying this drawing paper pad.
2. Strathmore 500 Series Drawing Paper:
- The 500 series of Strathmore Drawing paper is the highest quality of paper by Strathmore.
- These papers are loyally used by many professional artists.
- These papers are made of 100% cotton for strength and longevity.
- Erasing can be easily done in these paper, so it stands for repeated use.
- There are variety in paper in drawing application and techniques. While “Bristol” is best suited for colored drawing, “Charcoal” is for charcoal drawing.
- Highly recommended for drawing masterpiece
- A bit expensive